Estimated Costs listed above are for Fall 2018.
Withdrawal & Refund
Students are responsible for study abroad tuition and program fees once they have committed to attending a program. Please refer to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy before committing to your program. Once you have committed, you will be subject to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy. In some cases, there will be no refund available.
For Fall programs, the following schedule applies:
Billable Fees* include:
- UVA Tuition and course instruction in Lyon
- Participation in on-site Intensive Language & Culture Course (required)
- Temporary Housing upon arrival
- Responsabilité civile (third party insurance)
- Monthly group cultural activities
- Monthly bread and cheese gatherings hosted by UVA program on-site coordinators
- Health and Emergency Assistance Insurance through CISI. The ISO will enroll students in the insurance policy for the program dates.
- Personal travel beyond the scope of the program
- Passport fees and French Student Visa
- French Insurance (mandatory)
- Local Transportation
- Medical and Emergency Assistance insurance through CISI beyond program dates.
- CIEF tuition (see brochure note regarding enrollment at the Centre International d'études Française)
- OFII (French Immigration Timbre Fiscal mandatory for year-long participants)
Trip Insurance: The ISO recommends that travelers consider trip insurance that can be tapped in the event travel to or from the education abroad destination is interrupted or in the event itinerary changes become necessary.
Non-billable items posted above are estimates and will differ for each individual depending on their personal needs, course requirements, and personal choices. Fluctuations in international currency will affect total expenditures.
- The estimated airfare listed above is based on fares provided online February, 2018, with departure from Dulles International Airport (IAD) arriving Lyon (LYS). This is an estimate and fares will change with availability and routing.
- The estimated cost ‘Other’ includes the estimated cost for mandatory Sécurité sociale at 215 euros and $180 for the estimated cost of the French student visa.
- Estimated cost of Non-billable meals is based on approximately 20 euros per day and assumes most meals are prepared in the student residence.
- Estimated housing is based on 600 to 650 euros per month for 5 months in a shared apartment
- If you choose to live with a host family, the monthly fee is approximately 600 euros, dependent on contracted number of meals, which often includes daily breakfast and four to five dinners per week.
- Students participating in the year-long program will be required to pay 55 euros for the OFII (French Immigration Timbre Fiscal).
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to adjust all program charges, without prior notification, for increases associated with but not limited to, the cost of instruction, foreign exchange rates, and Board of Visitors changes to tuition and fees.
In addition, the University of Virginia reserves the right to alter or cancel this education abroad program in the event of an emergency, changes in operating conditions, or under-enrollment.
**Visa fees and regulations are subject to change