Estimated Costs listed above are for Fall 2019.
Students are responsible for billable study abroad tuition and program fees once they have committed to attending a program. Please refer to the Withdrawal and Refund policy before committing to your program. Once you have committed, you will be subject to the policies found at http://educationabroad.virginia.edu/forms-policies . In some cases, there will be no refund available.
Withdrawal & Refund
For Fall programs, the following schedule applies:
Billable Fees* include:
- Tuition - See course descriptions in brochure
- Shared housing in ISI contracted apartments (utilities & Wi-Fi included)
- Airport Pick up in Florence
- 2-day orientation program with field trips
- Semester Permit of Stay (Permesso di Soggiorno)
- End of Semester Farewell Party
- Student services help desk, 24/7 emergency phone
- Institute facilities use
- Health and Emergency Assistance Insurance through CISI. The ISO will enroll students in the insurance policy for the program dates.
Note regarding group meals:
Every effort will be made to accommodate dietary restrictions during group meals; however, all countries have distinct cuisines along with food preparation techniques, and it is not always possible to address specific food concerns and to meet dietary needs. Program participants are responsible for ensuring their dietary needs can be met for their chosen program itinerary.
Non-billable, Estimated Expenses:
Non-billable items posted above and described below are estimates of expenses you should expect to incur to participate in this program. These expenses will differ for each individual depending on their personal needs, course requirements, and personal choices. Fluctuations in international currency will affect total expenditures. The cost of airfare will be affected by availability and routing.
- Round-Trip airfare to program destination (estimate based on fares provided online in December, 2018, with departure from Dulles International Airport (IAD) arriving Florence (FLR)
- Airport transfers (transportation between your home and/or hotel and airports)
- Meals (non-billable meals estimated on average of $15 [EUR 13] per day and assumes most meals are prepared in the student residence
- Phone Service and internet service
- Visa fee estimated at $60; visa fees and regulations are subject to change
- Local Transportation
- Course Materials
Additional Fees to consider:
The cost of Optional trips and Cultural Activities organized by Palazzo Rucellai will be the participant’s responsibility; participants will pay Palazzo Rucellai directly.
Students enrolling in the Palazzo Rucellai Architecture Program will be billed additional fees. The fees may vary according to course selections. Students considering these programs are advised to confirm cost prior to committing. Additional Course Fees will be billed through SIS and are estimated for Fall 2019 as:
Other Expenses to consider:
There are possible costs that have not been included in this budget because they may not be applicable to all students, and will differ by individual if applicable. These may include but are not limited to:
- Personal travel beyond the scope of the program
- Immunizations for the area of travel
- Health and Emergency insurance coverage beyond program dates
- Passport fees
Trip Insurance: The ISO recommends that travelers consider trip insurance that can be tapped in the event travel to or from the education abroad destination is interrupted or in the event itinerary changes become necessary.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to adjust all program charges, without prior notification, for increases associated with but not limited to, the cost of instruction, foreign exchange rates, and Board of Visitors changes to tuition and fees.
In addition, the University of Virginia reserves the right to alter or cancel this education abroad program in the event of an emergency, changes in operating conditions, or under-enrollment.