Costs listed above are for January Term 2019.
Withdrawal & Refund
Students are responsible for study abroad tuition and program fees once they have committed
to attending a program. Please refer to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy before committing to your program. Once you have committed, you will be subject to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy. In some cases, there will be no refund available.
For January Term
programs, the following schedule applies:
Billable Fees* include:
- Tuition for courses described in brochure?
- Double Occupancy in hotels; double or triple occupancy in hostels
- Daily Breakfasts
- Three Group Dinners
- One Group Lunch
- Airfare Melbourne to Canberra
- Ground Transportation during program related events
- Entry fees to program-related cultural and historical site visits
- Health and Emergency Assistance Insurance through CISI. The ISO will enroll students in the insurance policy for the program dates
Non-Billable, Estimated Expenses
- Airfare between ‘home’ and Los Angeles
- Airfare between Los Angeles and Australia
- Most meals
- Internet and Phone Service
Non-billable items posted above are estimates and will differ for each individual depending on their personal needs, course requirements, and personal choices. Fluctuations in international currency will affect total expenditures.
- The estimated non-billable airfare listed above is based on fares provided online May, 2018, with departure from Dulles International Airport (IAD) arriving Los Angeles (LAX) and international flights from Los Angeles (LAX) to Melbourne (MEL) returning to IAD from Sydney (SYD). This is an estimate and fares will change with availability and routing.
- Estimated cost of Non-billable meals is based on a daily average of $31 per day.
- The estimated cost for the Australian entry visa is listed above as non-billable, Other.
Other Considerations: Some possible costs are not included in this budget, may not be applicable to all students, and will differ by individual if applicable. These may include but are not limited to:
- Personal travel beyond the scope of the program,
- Immunizations for the area of travel
- Visa fees (non-US citizens) – Visa fees and regulations are subject to change
- Passport fees
- Health and emergency coverage with CISI beyond the program dates
Trip Insurance: The ISO recommends that travelers consider trip insurance that can be tapped in the event travel to or from the
education abroad destination is interrupted or in the event itinerary changes become necessary.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to adjust all program charges, without prior notification, for increases associated with but not limited to, the cost of instruction, foreign exchange rates, and Board of Visitors changes to tuition and fees.