Costs listed above are for Summer 2018.
Withdrawal & Refund
Students are responsible for study abroad tuition and program fees once they have committed to attending a program. Please refer to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy before committing to your program. Once you have committed, you will be subject to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy. In some cases, there will be no refund available.
For Summer programs, the following schedule applies:
Billable Fees* include:
- Tuition for courses described in brochure
- Double Occupancy for 6-week course
- Single Occupancy for 4-week course
- Some group lunches and dinners
- Field trip to Annecy (two nights)
- Double occupancy in hotel during field trip
- Health and Emergency Assistance Insurance through CISI. The ISO will enroll students in the insurance policy for the program dates.
Not included in billable fees:
- Personal travel beyond the scope of the program
- International Airfare
- Non-program excursions or extra-curricular activities
- Most lunches and dinners
- Course materials
- Passport and Visa Fees
- Phone and internet service
- Health and Emergency insurance coverage beyond program dates
- Immunizations for the area of travel. Note, the cost of immunization will differ with each individual and has not been included in this budget.
Note: Estimated costs for meals, personal expenses, and local transportation are based on the 4-week program. Participants in the 6-week program should expect living expenses to increase by 40 -50% depending on personal interest and needs.
Trip Insurance: The ISO recommends that travelers consider trip insurance that can be tapped in the event travel to or from the education abroad destination is interrupted or in the event itinerary changes become necessary.
Non-billable items posted above are estimates and will differ for each individual depending on their personal needs, course requirements, and personal choices. Fluctuations in international currency will affect total expenditures.
- The estimated airfare listed above is based on fares provided online in December, 2017, with departure from Dulles International Airport (IAD) and arriving Lyon (LYS). This is an estimate and fares will change with availability and routing.
- Estimated cost of non-billable meals assumes most meals prepared in student residence or modest restaurant meals.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to adjust all program charges, without prior notification, for increases associated with but not limited to, the cost of instruction, foreign exchange rates, and Board of Visitors changes to tuition and fees.
In addition, the University of Virginia reserves the right to alter or cancel this education abroad program in the event of an emergency, changes in operating conditions, or under-enrollment.
**Visa fees and regulations are subject to change: Program participants are responsible for reviewing and understanding visa requirements for their chosen destination.