Costs listed above are for Summer 2018.
Withdrawal & Refund
Students are responsible for study abroad tuition and program fees once they have committed to attending a program. Please refer to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy before committing to your program. Once you have committed, you will be subject to the Withdrawal and Refund Policy. In some cases, there will be no refund available.
For Summer programs, the following schedule applies:
Tuition posted above is the cost of 6 credit hours earned for participation in SPAN 2010 & 2020 or SPAN 3010 & 3031. Students electing to enroll in SPAN 2100 will be billed for the additional credit hour. The additional cost is $363 for in-state and $463 for out-of-state.
Billable Fees* include:
- Tuition for courses described in brochure
- Single room at a Costa Rican homestay in Alajuela with laundry service included throughout the duration of program
- Breakfast and dinner included at Costa Rican homestay
- Alajuela City tour with transportation and lunch included
- Excursion to Tortuga Island with transportation, snacks, guide, and lunch included
- Trip to Guayabo Orosi, Ujarrás and Cartago with transportation and lunch included
- 3 day, 2 night trip to Tortuguero, Limon with accommodation, transportation guide, daily breakfast, 3 lunches, and 2 dinners included
- One night trip to Puerto Viejo, Limon with accommodation, transportation, breakfast, lunch, and dinner included
- One night stay in San Jose the evening before departure
- Arrival transfer from San Jose International Airport by member of host family to home stay accommodation in Alajuela
- Ground transportation to San Jose International Airport for departure
- Entry fees to study sites related to the program
- Health and Emergency Assistance Insurance through CISI. The ISO will enroll students in the insurance policy.
Not included in billable fees:
- Personal travel beyond the scope of the program.
- Local transportation to and from class
- International Airfare
- Lunches and other meals taken on own
- Passport and Visa Fees
- Laundry on the trip to Tortuguero and Puerto Viejo
- Internet and phone service
- Course materials
- Immunizations for the area of travel. Note, the cost of immunization will differ with each individual and has not been included in this budget.
Non-billable items posted above are estimates and will differ for each individual depending on their personal needs, course requirements, and personal choices. Fluctuations in international currency will affect total expenditures.
- The estimated airfare listed above is based on fares provided online in October, 2017, with departure from Dulles International Airport (IAD) arriving San Jose (SJO). This is an estimate and fares will change with availability and routing.
- Estimated cost of non-billable meals assumes moderate restaurants with an average of approximately US $8 per day; local transportation is the estimated cost of travel to class on the public bus and return via taxi
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to adjust all program charges, without prior notification, for increases associated with but not limited to, the cost of instruction, foreign exchange rates, and Board of Visitors changes to tuition and fees.