|Costs listed above are for Summer 2019
Withdrawal & Refund
Students are responsible for study abroad tuition and program fees once they have committed to attending a program. Please refer to the Withdrawal and Refund policy before committing to your program. Once you have committed, you will be subject to the policies found at http://educationabroad.virginia.edu/forms-policies . In some cases, there will be no refund available.
For Summer programs, the following schedule applies:
Tuition posted above is the cost of 6 credit hours earned for participation in SPAN 2010 & 2020 or SPAN 3010 & 3031. Students electing to enroll in SPAN 2100 (7 credit hours) will be billed for the additional credit hour. The additional cost is $372 for in-state and $479 for out-of-state.
Billable Fees* include:
- Tuition for courses described in brochure
- Single room at a Costa Rican homestay in Alajuela with laundry service included throughout the duration of program
- Breakfast and dinner included at Costa Rican homestay
- Alajuela City tour with transportation and lunch included
- Excursion to Tortuga Island with transportation, snacks, guide, and lunch included
- Trip to Guayabo Orosi, Ujarrás and Cartago with transportation and lunch included
- 3 day, 2 night trip to Tortuguero, Limon with accommodation, transportation guide, daily breakfast, 3 lunches, and 2 dinners included
- One night trip to Puerto Viejo, Limon with accommodation, transportation, breakfast, lunch, and dinner included
- One night stay in San Jose the evening before departure (shared hotel accommodation arranged)
- Arrival transfer from San Jose International Airport by member of host family to home stay accommodation in Alajuela
- Ground transportation to San Jose International Airport for departure
- Entry fees to study sites related to the program
- Health and Emergency Assistance Insurance through CISI. The ISO will enroll students in the insurance policy.
Note regarding group meals:
Every effort will be made to accommodate dietary restrictions during group meals; however, all countries have distinct cuisines along with food preparation techniques, and it is not always possible to address specific food concerns and meet needs. Program participants are responsible for ensuring their needs can be met for their chosen program itinerary.
Non-Billable, Estimated Expenses:
- International Airfare
- Lunches in Alajuela
- Local Transportation
- Laundry, internet, and phone service (listed as personal expenses)
- Course materials
- Costa Rica departure tax (listed as other)
Non-billable items posted above are estimates and will differ for each individual depending on their personal needs, course requirements, and personal choices. Fluctuations in international currency will affect total expenditures.
- The estimated airfare listed above is based on fares provided online in November, 2018, with departure from Dulles International Airport (IAD) arriving San Jose (SJO). This is an estimate and fares will change with availability and routing.
- Estimated cost of non-billable lunches assumes moderate restaurants with an average of approximately $8 per day; local transportation is the estimated daily transport cost in Alajuela to and from class via taxi and/or public bus.
Other Considerations: Some possible costs are not included in this budget, may not be applicable to all students, and will differ by individual if applicable. These may include but are not limited to:
- Personal travel beyond the scope of the program, including optional travel arranged by ICLC
- Immunizations for the area of travel
- Visa fees (non-US citizens) – Visa fees and regulations are subject to change
- Passport fees
- Health and emergency coverage with CISI beyond the program dates
Trip Insurance: The ISO recommends that travelers consider trip insurance that can be tapped in the event travel to or from the education abroad destination is interrupted or in the event itinerary changes become necessary.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to adjust all program charges, without prior notification, for increases associated with but not limited to, the cost of instruction, foreign exchange rates, and Board of Visitors changes to tuition and fees.
|In addition, the University of Virginia reserves the right to alter or cancel this education abroad program in the event of an emergency, changes in operating conditions, or under-enrollment.