Estimated Costs listed above are for Summer 2019. Final billable tuition and program fees will be available by November 1, 2018.
Withdrawal & Refund
Students are responsible for billable study abroad tuition and program fees once they have committed to attending a program. Please refer to the Withdrawal and Refund policy before committing to your program. Once you have committed, you will be subject to the policies found at http://educationabroad.virginia.edu/forms-policies . In some cases, there will be no refund available.
For Summer programs, the following schedule applies:
Billable Fees* include:
- Tuition for courses described in brochure
- Shared occupancy in Retreat Center in Tuscany
- Shared occupancy in centrally-located hotels in Rome and Venice
- Daily Breakfasts
- Most lunches and dinners
- Public transportation during excursions in Rome and Venice
- Admission fees to program-required cultural and historical sites
- Health and Emergency Assistance Insurance through CISI. The ISO will enroll students in the insurance policy for the program dates.
Note regarding group meals:
Every effort will be made to accommodate dietary restrictions during group meals; however, all countries have distinct cuisines along with food preparation techniques, and it is not always possible to address specific food concerns and to meet dietary needs. Program participants are responsible for ensuring their dietary needs can be met for their chosen program itinerary.
Non-billable, Estimated Expenses:
Non-billable items posted above and described below are estimates of expenses you should expect to incur to participate in this program. These expenses will differ for each individual depending on their personal needs, course requirements, and personal choices. Fluctuations in international currency will affect total expenditures. The cost of airfare will be affected by availability and routing.
- Round-Trip airfare to program destination (estimate based on fares provided online in September, 2018, with departure from Dulles International Airport (IAD) arriving Rome (FCO) and returning to Dulles from Venice (VCE).
- Airport transfers (transportation between your home and/or hotel and airports)
- Some Meals (non-billable meals estimated on average of $18 [EUR 15] per day
- Phone Service
- Entry fees to non-compulsory site visits
- Health and Emergency insurance coverage beyond program dates
- Course materials
Other Expenses to consider:
There are possible costs that have not been included in this budget because they may not be applicable to all students, and will differ by individual if applicable. These may include but are not limited to:
- Personal travel beyond the scope of the program
- Visa fees (non-U.S. citizens) Visa fees and regulations are subject to change
- Passport fees
Trip Insurance: The ISO recommends that travelers consider trip insurance that can be tapped in the event travel to or from the education abroad destination is interrupted or in the event itinerary changes become necessary.
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to adjust all program charges, without prior notification, for increases associated with but not limited to, the cost of instruction, foreign exchange rates, and Board of Visitors changes to tuition and fees.
In addition, the University of Virginia reserves the right to alter or cancel this education abroad program in the event of an emergency, changes in operating conditions, or under-enrollment.