|Costs listed above are for Summer 2019.
Withdrawal & Refund
Students are responsible for billable study abroad tuition and program fees once they have committed to attending a program. Please refer to the Withdrawal and Refund policy before committing to your program. Once you have committed, you will be subject to the policies found at http://educationabroad.virginia.edu/forms-policies . In some cases, there will be no refund available.
For Summer programs, the following schedule applies:
Billable Fees include:
Note regarding group meals:
- 3 credits and instruction
- Double Occupancy in Santo Domingo centrally located hotel
- Shared occupancy in eco-lodge guest cottages
- On-site transportation, service project, and cultural tours
- Breakfasts in all locations, all meals in Puerto Plato, some meals in Santo Domingo
- Health and Emergency Assistance Insurance through CISI. The ISO will enroll students in the insurance policy.
Every effort will be made to accommodate dietary restrictions during group meals; however, all countries have distinct cuisines along with food preparation techniques, and it is not always possible to address specific food concerns and to meet dietary needs. Program participants are responsible for ensuring their dietary needs can be met for their chosen program itinerary.
Non-billable, Estimated Expenses:
Non-billable items posted above and described below are estimates of expenses you should expect to incur to participate in this program. These expenses will differ for each individual depending on their personal needs, course requirements, and personal choices. Fluctuations in international currency will affect total expenditures. The cost of airfare will be affected by availability and routing.
Other Expenses to consider:
- Round-Trip airfare to program destination (estimate based on fares provided online in November 2018, with departure from Dulles International Airport (IAD) arriving Santo Domingo (SDO)
- Airport transfers (transportation between your home and/or hotel and airports)
- Some meals in Santo Domingo
- Dominican Republic Airport Entry fee (listed as Other)
- Phone Service
- Course materials
There are possible costs that have not been included in this budget because they may not be applicable to all students, and will differ by individual if applicable. These may include but are not limited to:
Trip Insurance: The ISO recommends that travelers consider trip insurance that can be tapped in the event travel to or from the education abroad destination is interrupted or in the event itinerary changes become necessary.
- Personal travel beyond the scope of the program
- Immunizations for the area of travel
- Health and Emergency insurance coverage beyond program dates
- Visa fees (non-U.S. citizens) Visa fees and regulations are subject to change
- Passport fees
*The University of Virginia reserves the right to adjust all program charges, without prior notification, for increases associated with but not limited to, the cost of instruction, foreign exchange rates, and Board of Visitors changes to tuition and fees.
In addition, the University of Virginia reserves the right to alter or cancel this education abroad program in the event of an emergency, changes in operating conditions, or under-enrollment.