|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2019||01-NOV-2018 **||Rolling Admission||19-JAN-2019||17-MAY-2019|
|Year||2019-2020||01-APR-2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall Semester||2019||01-APR-2019 **||Rolling Admission||17-AUG-2019||14-DEC-2019|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed
|Class Status:||2nd year||Minimum GPA Requirement:||2.5|
|Language Requirement:||2000 level||Open to Non-UVa Students:||No|
|Housing:||Homestay||Language Courses Offered:||Yes|
|Language of Instruction:||English, French, Other||Credit Type:||Transfer Credit|
|Program Type:||Internship, Island||Tuition Payments Made To:||Program Provider|
|Education Abroad Advisor:||Margaret Walter||Application Fee:||Yes|
|Study Abroad Administrative Fee:||Yes||Subject Area:||African-American & African Studies, Anthropology, Communications, Cultural Studies, Economics, Education, Environmental Sciences, Foreign Affairs, French, History, Independent Study, Internship, Law, Linguistics, Other Languages & Literatures, Political Science, Pre-Medical, Psychology, Public Health, Religious Studies, Sociology, Urban Studies, Women, Gender & Sexuality|
Senegal is one of the region's most developed, democratic, and friendly nations, making seaside Dakar a prime spot to explore Senegalese culture and language. Learn French and Wolof – a sub-Saharan language – while you delve into African studies, international relations, and development studies. When you explore the city and beyond, experience local family traditions, and pursue causes you care about, you're assured a remarkable experience abroad.
in English or French in a range of intriguing subjects.
ACCOMPLISH A WEEK OF FIELDWORK
in rural Senegal with Peace Corps volunteers or village hosts. Students call it the most influential part of their time abroad.
LIVE WITH A DAKAR HOST
and boost your language skills while you experience the principal aspects of Senegalese culture – family and social life.
Excursions & Activities
- Choose a week with Peace Corps volunteers or local hosts in a rural village, to experience and document the contrasts and links between rural and urban life.
- Venture off for a day in Toubab Dialaw, a fishing village and artist's colony.
- See more of the region with a weekend trip to the mangroves of the Sine-Saloum; Saint Louis, the former capital of French West Africa; and other rural areas.
- Participate in cultural activities in and around Dakar.
Internships. Get culturally unique work experience – and possibly credit – with a human rights organization like Rencontre Africaine pour la Défense des Droits de l'Homme or the Global Research and Advocacy Group.
Volunteering. Lend a hand to the important work of human rights organizations and get back as much as you give.
Research. From children's rights to the role of religion in the democratic process, you can study the topic you care most about, and contribute important fieldwork.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Senegalese culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Field trips and cultural activities
- Overnight excursions
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us