SIT: Australia: Byron Bay: Sustainability and Environmental Action
Byron Bay, Australia (Education Abroad Programs Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||SIT/World Learning|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall Semester||2018||09-APR-2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed
|Class Status:||2nd year, 3rd year, 4th year||Minimum GPA Requirement:||2.5|
|Language Requirement:||none||Open to Non-UVa Students:||No|
|Housing:||Homestay, Hotel, With program group||Language of Instruction:||English|
|Credit Type:||Transfer Credit||Program Type:||Field Study/ Experiential, Island|
|Tuition Payments Made To:||Program Provider||Education Abroad Advisor:||Margaret Walter|
|Application Fee:||Yes||Study Abroad Administrative Fee:||Yes|
|Subject Area:||Anthropology, Biology, Environmental Sciences, Geology, Independent Study, Internship, Political Science, Urban Studies|
SIT Study Abroad Australia: Sustainability and Environmental Action
Investigate alternatives to current systems that are degrading the environment and increasing inequality, and be inspired by the incredible beauty of Australia’s World Heritage areas.
- Live two blocks from the beach in the small coastal town of Byron Bay.
- Go on a four-day camping trip with Aboriginal elders.
- Learn about ecopsychology, environmental action, and sustainable futures during interactive, multi-day workshops.
- Explore the methods of environmental activism.
- Discover how Australia’s successful sustainability efforts can be applied at home.
- Spend eight days in Tasmania, exploring its ancient forests and learning about conservation.
- Do independent field research or an internship.
SIT internships are hands on and reflective. In addition to completing the internship, you will submit a paper processing your learning experience on the job and analyzing an issue important to the organization you worked with, and/or you will design a socially responsible solution to a problem identified by the organization.
- Researching and writing materials for a social media outreach campaign with 1 Million Women
- Campaigning with The Wilderness Society for a new national park in Victoria
- Developing a children’s space within the Mullumbimby Community Garden
- Taking photographs and developing promotional materials for the Melbourne Farmers’ Market
- Collating and analyzing information from a renewable energy forum at the New South Wales Office of Environment and Heritage
- Assessing demand for local foods at Armidale City Council
- Working on a campaign to preserve the Great Eastern Ranges with Australian Conservation Foundation
- Developing a travel plan for a large hospital with Victoria’s Health Department
- Assessing the effectiveness of sustainability initiatives targeting small businesses at Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment
- Campaigning against the expansion of salmon farming with Environment Tasmania
- Helping Ocean Planet with marine conservation campaigns in Tasmania
- Sense of place
- The natural environment and nature conservation
- Social change and environmental action
- Ecopsychology and environmental ethics
- Aboriginal relationships with the environment
Money MattersBe sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- The SIT Pell Grant Match provides matching grants to all students receiving Federal Pell Grant funding when it is applied to an SIT Study Abroad semester program.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad
- Visit our website: studyabroad.sit.edu
- Request more information or email us: email@example.com
- Call an admission counselor: 888-272-7881
- Contact a former student.
- Apply to SIT.