IFSA: China: Shanghai: 21st Century City
Shanghai, China (Education Abroad Programs Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Alliance for Global Education|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring Semester||2019||01-NOV-2018 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Fall Semester||2019||01-APR-2019 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Indicates that deadline has passed
|Class Status:||2nd year, 3rd year, 4th year||Minimum GPA Requirement:||3.0|
|Language Requirement:||none||Open to Non-UVa Students:||No|
|Housing:||Apartment||Language Courses Offered:||Yes|
|Language of Instruction:||Chinese, English||Credit Type:||Transfer Credit|
|Program Type:||Field Study/ Experiential, Island||Tuition Payments Made To:||Program Provider|
|Education Abroad Advisor:||Ryan Hathaway||Application Fee:||Yes|
|Study Abroad Administrative Fee:||Yes||Subject Area:||Anthropology, Architecture, Asian Studies, Chinese, Cultural Studies, Economics, Foreign Affairs, Political Science, Sociology, Urban and Environmental Planning, Urban Studies|
Study Abroad in CHINA with IFSA
About the Program
Witness history in the making as Shanghai continues to develop at an unprecedented pace. With this cosmopolitian city as your classroom, you can explore issues of sustainable urbanization, economic reforms, or Chinese politics and foreign policy while living with Chinese roommates and studying Chinese Language.
Shanghai has grown exponentially in the last hundred years—from a colonial trading port to a massive international metropolis with a population of 24 million. Known for its fast-paced industry and cosmopolitan vibe, the city is intricately connected with the global flows of commodities and people. It also represents the enormous environmental, economic, and social challenges that are mirrored across China and around the world. Want to study international trade or sustainable urbanization? Shanghai is your city.
- Examine urban planning, international relations, and contemporary Chinese society through 15 credits of coursework in a 21st century mega-city that is both a laboratory and model of urbanization.
- Enrich your study of Chinese language and youth culture by living with a Chinese roommate.
- Complete a capstone research project that you can leverage for future career or academic goals.
- Participate in weekly cultural activities to explore another side of Shanghai. These may include cooking classes, tours of manufacturing facilities, or visits to farming communities in Shanghai’s suburbs.
- Complement and contextualize your understanding of China’s largest metropolis through a field study trip that explores China’s social, economic, and geographic diversity.
IFSA scholarships are primarily need-based and factor in any additional cost your study abroad program might have over home school tuition. The awards are $500 for summer programs, $1,500 for semester programs and $2,500 for full year programs. These scholarships may apply to any IFSA program, with the exception of our custom programs.
Take the Next Step
- Visit our website for more information about our 21st Century City program, including previous course syllabi, housing arrangements, co-curricular activities, and field study trips.
- Contact your Student Services Manager at 800-858-0229 or http://email@example.com
- Apply to an IFSA program now!
6201 Corporate Drive, Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN 46278
Phone: 800- 858-0229